Monday, June 11, 2012

Preschool is much different with 60 kids

Today was a future teachers dream. We went to work in Kigali City School. It is an English based school which was awesome because it made everything so much easier. For obvious reasons. Also for obvious reasons I placed myself to work in the preschool class room. I honestly don't know who's smile was bigger when I walked into the class, mine or the little preschoolers. Of course I wanted to give them all huge hugs and make them my best friends. But that probably wouldn't have been appropriate for the first meeting. Maybe tomorrow though! But my group sat and watched how this preschool classroom was run so that we could get an idea on how to teach a lesson plan in the days to come. Holy crap did these kids have a lot of energy. They were so excited to learn and the majority of their learning was done through song which I found really interesting. I think we should do more song based learning in the states. Mental note for when I have my own class. Cause think about it, you can have a stupid Katy Perry song stuck in your head for weeks and then can't even remember the capital of Alabama for your geography test. So song is helpful! They sang for us and danced for us and were so happy we were there. I couldn't stop smiling the entire time. Especially once I took my camera out and I had 60 little models on my hands all throwing up peace signs and hugging their neighbor for a photo op. And yes you read that right. 60 kids. There were 60 kids in this one classroom. Now so many parents complain about having more then 30 in their child's class.... But here, 60 was nothing! I give that teacher so much props for doing what she does every day with 60 hyper crazy kids, who yes are adorable, but hyper. Something that is amazing about this country that I saw four years ago and now is that everyone is so generous. The little kids had snack time when we were there and every kid came up and offered us a part of their snack. They need that snack way more then any of us do, yet, they are so willing to share with us and won't accept it when we give it back to them. They all wanna give high fives and play with my hair and hug. There is so much love it is incredible. And I love it! After all the fun and games were over... Until tomorrow.. We went to the genocide memorial. I went to it the last time I was here but it was just as moving as the first time. Outside of the memorial are graves and burial sites that you can walk by and as I was walking by I saw a group of people laying flowers on one of the graves and saying something. That really made things real for me. Those are people I could have just walked by on the street and I would have no idea that someone they loved didn't survive the genocide. I then realized that almost everyone I pass on the street, the teachers in the school, the pastor in the church, all know someone that didn't make it. I knew this before but it really hit me seeing those people at the grave. It's incredible to see how this country bounced back from such a horrible event in history. Sorry I know this post is very long. But tomorrow we go back to the school. I wish i could post pics but the good old iPad can't be hooked up to a camera. So cool thanks iPad. I hope everyone at home is good. I miss you guys. It feels like I've been here weeks but it's only been a few days. Haha. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment