Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Mission backpack

Today we drove the two hour drive to Rwinkwavu, which is the poorest part of Rwanda. The two hour drive ended up being three hours because of our nice long detour because of a broken bridge. Someone Mr Fletcher knows has built a library there so we went to look at that. It was the most amazing library I've ever seen. This one woman has put five years of her life into building this library and it really shows. It is beautiful. The books weren't in it yet because they are still finishing it but it was so big with huge doors and tall ceilings. It was really amazing. We decided to finish off mission backpack in Rwinkwavu because of the fact that it is the poorest part of Rwanda. So as we drove down the long dirt road, we stopped when we saw a child in a uniform, and handed them a backpack filled with clothes. Some of them looked scared by us and didn't know what was going on, but once they were assured we were safe, their faces lit up and they were so happy. It was really interesting to me because we had to make sure to give them to kids in school uniforms because is a possible problem that the other kids would try and sell the clothes and backpacks for money. Which defeats the purpose of our act of kindness. My favorite was a little boy who had seen his friends get backpacks and then ran after the bus for probably fifteen minutes so that he could get a backpack too. It's the greatest feeling in the world to be driving down a dirt road and just hand a backpack to a random school kid. It's so cool to think how they woke up this morning thinking they were going to go to school and come home and have an ordinary day. They never expected to be stopped by a random white van filled with white kids handing them a backpack of goodies and smiling. It must look so weird to them but they were all so grateful. It probably made their day, maybe even their week. It was also amazing to watch them as the van drove away because they would all open their backpack and show their friends or their moms what was in it. I bet they were all so happy and that makes me so happy. Such a small random act of kindness can change someone's life and I love it! I also saw two baby black pigs. And for all of you who know me well, you can only imagine how I reacted to this. I was squealing and clapping my hands together like a hyper little child. I made the bus stop so I could take pictures of the two baby pigs. Oh my god they were so cute I may have wanted to steal one more then a child. And that is saying a lot. I want one! But that was my day. Not too long which was nice. But my legs were so cramped from the van ride I was like a newborn trying to walk. We do this thing where every night one of the kids recognizes someone who stood out to them that day in a positive way and then that person gets passed the bandana ( which is actually the belt to a donated bath robe), and then that person wears the belt with pride the next day. Tonight, one of the girls gave me the honorable belt so tomorrow I have to wear it around. I need to come up with a stylish way to wear it haha. I can not believe that tomorrow is my last full day here. It's so sad. I'm excited to get home but don't want to leave. I wish I could just bring everyone here so I could be with them but be in Rwanda. You all need to come sometime. It was amazing the first time I came and is even better this time. It's such a wonderful place! Oink oink goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment