Saturday, June 16, 2012

I'm blue

We painted the classroom blue today. It looks so good and the color is so pretty. We are using an oil based paint so it is very messy and once it is on you, it's not coming off for a while. I currently have smurph hands. But the classroom looks incredible. Everyone worked so hard to get it done and it looks so good! Tomorrow we get to do all the designs and decorating which I was in charge of planning with my group of three girls. It's going to look great! It's so fun painting in a group like that because they are so fun and so funny and love to laugh. I love it and secretly wish I was back in high school like them. They are really great kids. After the classroom transformed from a primed mess to a blue beauty, we drove a little bit down the hill to do mission backpack. This was my favorite part of the day. This is the type of stuff I love. I love being able to put a huge smile on someone else's face, especially a little kids. We carried 20 backpacks of clothing and two boxes of clothing up the hill and into the church of this community. There were so many kids there and they all sang for us out of appreciation. It was really amazing to see all those kids sitting there and knowing that soon they would have new clothes to wear. The pastor was saying how they pray for something like this everyday. For someone to come and help them with things they can not afford. I think it's really special that we were the ones who answered his prayers. It's not everyday you can say you did that. I was smiling the whole time. I just kept imagining these little kids running around in my old clothes that were going to be so new and wonderful to them. In the specific community we partner with, cyabatanzi, you always know what child you played with the day before, or what little kid you took a picture with. It's so easy to remember this because they are always wearing the same outfit. And that outfit is always dirty. It is the same with the community we helped today. Soon they will be able to retire that outfit that they have been wearing for weeks, even months non stop , and will be able to put on fresh and new bright clothes. I am so excited for them and can only imagine how happy they are. I'm hoping that tomorrow when we drive past their village on the way to the top of the hill, that I see a kid wearing the clothes we gave. That would really make my day. We ate dinner at the little mall they have. We ate at bourbon coffee. It's so funny because they have bourbon coffees in Boston and dc I think and then Rwanda. So random hahah. But it's really good food and I got to have a veggie burger! But while we were there I went into the big convenient store with some of the girls to get them candy and while there I decided to get something to give to my sponsor child when I finally get to meet her. The options were slim so I just ended up getting here a pink bouncy ball with Minnie mouse and daffy duck on it and then some lollipops. I hope she likes it! I also can't believe I only have five more full days here. It's so weird. I love it here so much and wish everyone from home could have the chance to come and see what I am so lucky to experience. Rwanda is a very special and amazing country and right this minute I am so happy and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful heart for kids you have Taylor! The Lord had really given you such spirit. I have really enjoyed reading this.
    xoMrs. DeTour

    ReplyDelete