Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Last night

So sad that it's my last night in Rwanda. This morning started off with a disappointment. We were supposed to meet sponsor children today. Stanwich sponsors three and then I sponsor one. After looking at the list we realized that the company messed up and included a different child on the list instead of mine. This was pretty upsetting because it meant I didn't get to see my sponsor child. I tried to keep an open mind though because we were still going to go see the three children that stanwich sponsors. It was a three hour drive to where the kids lived. During that drive I found out that Patience, my sponsor child, was going to be brought close to our hotel tomorrow so that I can see her. I'm guessing Mr Fletcher's arguing and frustration about the whole thing really did the trick! So that made the day happier. When we finally got off the can three hours later we were at the house of one of the kids. It was so cool being able to go into Sylvies house and see where she lives and meet her family. She had the most beautiful family. She had four other siblings, a beautiful mom and a dad who didn't have use of his legs and had to walk using his arms. The experience was incredible. We were all sitting in her house, which as you can imagine, did not look like a house we are used to. I had her little sister on my lap and her dad was telling us how thankful he was that we all had such big hearts to sponsor his daughter. It was amazing to be sitting in her house and to be so welcomed by her family. The whole situation was so beautiful to me for some reason that I could not stop staring and smiling at the family. After we sat with the family we went to a restaurant near by for lunch, and we're joined by the two other children that stanwich sponsors. We were not able to go to their houses, but being able to see them at lunch was still so cool. Sylvie and her family came too. We were joined by Luis and his brother and his mom and then Pauline and her dad. They were all such beautiful kids and had the biggest smiles on their faces as they ate heaping plates of food from the buffet. It was a really cool day. And then we headed back on our three hour drive. We went to dinner at a really nice restaurant called heaven, which is actually owned by a couple from the US. It's so pretty and yummy there. It's so sad it's my last night here. I have gotten so used to sleeping under a mosquito net, I don't know what I will do without one when I'm home. I feel like I just got here and can't believe I'm already leaving tomorrow night and will be home on Friday. So weird. I'm so tired so this post is short and not great but I will see you all soon and will be able to tell you everything in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment